Membership is at the very heart of our centre.
It is one of the most practical way that friends and supporters of De-Tong Ling can provide ongoing support, enabling us to meet the costs of keeping De-Tong Ling running.
Every day, De-Tong Ling offers those seeking a meaningful spiritual life an opportunity to further this goal. As a member, your contribution will enhance our ability to offer them this opportunity.
Membership contributions are used for:
- Centre maintenance, administration and communication
- Building improvements
- Support for Sangha members in retreat
- Invitation and support of visiting teachers
- As well as supporting the centre, a portion of each member’s contribution goes towards the activities of the FPMT.
Our spiritual director, Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche, said:
“A Mahayana Dharma Centre is a place which provides education on how to develop great compassion towards all living beings and which causes others to practice and actualize this compassion in their heart. Compassion never allows harm to be given to others and is only to benefit others, so a Dharma Centre becomes a very important tool to bring peace in the world and in the minds of numberless sentient beings.”
Statement of Objectives of the Centre
De-Tong Ling Retreat Centre Inc. is dedicated to:
- The transmission of Tibetan Buddhism within a western context through the promotion of study and dissemination of Buddhist teachings, emphasising the teachings of the Gelugpa school of Tibetan Buddhism, and
- the preservation of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy, psychology, logic, metaphysics, art, sacred dance, crafts and skills, and Tibetan medicine.
- Fulfilling the wishes of the Spiritual Director of the FPMT Inc, Kyabje Thubten Zopa Rinpoche, as set out by the Board of Directors and the International Office of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT Inc.).
The Centre is affiliated with the FPMT Inc, where:
- FPMT represents an international group of organisations and individuals devoted to the transmission of the Mahayana Buddhist tradition and values worldwide through teaching, meditation and community service.
- FPMT and its affiliates, including the Centre, provide integrated education through which people’s minds and hearts can be transformed to express their highest potential for the benefit of others, inspired by an attitude of universal responsibility.
- FPMT and its affiliates are based on the Buddhist tradition of Lama Tsong Khapa of Tibet, as taught by Lama Thubten Yeshe and Kyabje Thubten Zopa Rinpoche
Benefits of Membership of the Centre
De-Tong Ling Retreat Centre is an incorporated entity, which means there are various obligations the Centre must fulfill, which include having members, holding AGMs and having the finances independently audited.
In becoming a member of De-Tong Ling you will:
- join our community of friends and supporters, and formalise your relationship with the Centre, which enables you to have a say in both its day-to-day running and its future.
- support the vital service of providing retreat facilities to people who want to meditate.
- enjoy reduced rates for retreats (10% less).
- receive regular communication about progress at the Centre, upcoming events, teaching/meditation retreats, and work sessions.
Membership Application / Renewal
Apply and pay for annual membership using the form below. For questions and more information regarding membership, please contact us via the Contact Us page.